Save electricity bills with smart glass coating, keep warm in winter and cool in summer without turning on the air conditioner

Can you make your home more comfortable and pleasant without installing heating and cooling? British scientists have developed a new smart window coating that can precisely adjust the amount of solar radiation reflected, and is expected to reduce the energy cost of heating and cooling buildings by a third.

The key to the smart glass coating developed by the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom is the “chalcogenide” phase change material. When it is very cold outside, the material will absorb the infrared rays in the sunlight, and then dissipate it indoors as heat, but when the sun is shining outside, it will It will show the other side, reflecting the collected infrared rays back to the outside, and try to keep the indoor cool.

The team also embedded small and transparent heating units into the coating, which can be used to adjust the coating ratio more precisely, such that 30% of the material is used for heat dissipation, and the remaining 70% is used to absorb and dissipate heat.

And according to the team, no matter what state the material is in, it will not affect the incident light, so it will not affect the indoor lighting. The team estimates that compared with traditional double-glazed glass, smart windows can save 20% in homes or buildings every year~ 34% energy use.

The team thinks the new design should be relatively simple and cheap, but it’s still some time away from its prime. Harish Bhaskran, professor of materials at the University of Oxford, said that while a lot of research was needed before commercialization, the results showed promise and further efficiencies could be made.

In the past, many teams have developed similar technologies, such as the use of electrochromic materials, liquid-filled films, or the use of tilting mirrors to reflect sunlight. Scientists hope to use these technologies to make the room warm in winter and cool in summer without turning on the air conditioner. Not yet commercialized, but they are all working to reduce building energy costs.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s